Sunday, January 23, 2011

Communication

One thing I learned from the CLP international teleconference is how important communication is when working within an organization and with others. My biggest fault has been relying heavily on Sam and Rachel to deal with setting up dates and times with events, without ever verifying that everything has been prepared. One of the issues that came up was confusion about the teleconference and the parent night orientation, which some had believed to be the same thing. This lead to the parent night (originally scheduled for January 18) being canceled, as we had to work with the school to have the orientation on campus. For the most part, I think everyone realized how much better we need to be about communication, with one another and the people that we work with (especially at Norte Vista).

In many respects, my work within CLP has mostly involved the other interns and Sam/Rachel, meaning that I barely know the other members of CLP beyond their names and faces. A lot of this is due to the fact that I rarely see these individuals, other than at CLP events which makes it difficult to leisurely talk and hang out as we are busy. I see the CLP interns and Sam usually once a week, which means that I feel closer to them and more comfortable working with them. However, CLP is an organization whose work depends on collaboration and group efforts, meaning that I need to get better at working with everyone. This is something I have set myself to being better at, especially in the next few months as we get into the heart of SU2I training and fundraising. 

No comments:

Post a Comment