Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Grit

Though I do believe that intelligence is not the only factor in helping to gauge future achievements or success, I also believe that grit is only a small factor as well. In this society, we are taught to believe that if we "give up" that we have failed because everyone is supposed to "stick through it." However, one thing I have been learning, especially with my time with CLP, that this mindset can prove to be detrimental. There is nothing wrong with stepping back and realizing that, sometimes, things just are not meant to work out. Sure, it is possible to grin and bear it, but that usually leads to a loss of happiness. I admit that I can sometimes be stubborn and unyielding, especially when it comes to the work I do. However, that has lead me astray at time because I have not been able to let go when needed, which would have been good for me and others involved. For me, "grit" can be divided into "stubbornness" and "perseverance," both which have different connotations.

"Stubbornness," to me, is about refusing to accept reality or the facts, even when it is needed. We are stubborn because we do not want to lose face, be seen as failures or losers, or just want to be stubborn for no real reason. "Perseverance," on the other hand, is about sticking through the hard times because it is the best decision for you (or the individuals involved) and is not about the fear of "giving up." Growing up, I always believed that if I started something, I had to finish it no matter what. What I know realize is that the final goals are not what is most important, but rather completing these goals and going through the process in a genuine and sincere manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment